Sunday, November 7, 2010

"Waffles of Insane Greatness"


The last time I was in NYC my friends we were visiting decided we needed to check out a restaurant called "Amy Ruth's" for their famous chicken & waffles. So we did. It's in Harlem and we had a little ways to walk and 9-month-old Macey hitched a ride in the Baby Bjorn. People in Harlem are very friendly and they really like babies, at least the ones I encountered were. I had multiple big black men come up and kiss my baby right on her sweet little face. It's funny now, though I remember being a little concerned back then. We both survived and made it to Amy Ruth's and that's where I discovered the BEST waffles I have EVER tasted. (the chicken was surprisingly good too, if you're ever there try it out!) They were crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. I've been on a waffle recipe hunt since to find one like it and I finally did. The name of the recipe says it all "Waffles of Insane Greatness". The only trouble is, I don't really like ordinary waffles anymore, they've raised my waffle standards to a whole new level.

Try these, they do not disappoint but be aware, you will probably turn into a waffle snob.

Waffles of Insane Greatness:
(from www.realmomkitchen.com)

  • ¾ cup all-purpose flour ( I used whole wheat)
  • ¼ cup cornstarch
  • ½ tsp. baking powder
  • ¼ tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1½ tsp. sugar
  • ½ cup whole milk ( I used skim with great results)
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • ¾ tsp. vanilla extract
  1. In a medium mixing bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk together to blend.
  2. In another mixing bowl, beat together the whole milk, buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the bowl with the wet ingredients and whisk just until incorporated and few lumps remain. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
  3. Preheat a waffle iron. Fill waffle wells and cook according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Cook until crisp and golden. Serve immediately. Yield: depends on the size/shape of your waffle iron.
*** This makes a small batch, so I would definitely double or triple the recipe

This is Uncle Pat's waffle, I forgot to take a picture of one with fixins on it, till he was almost done with the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts, thanks, tips, and tricks