Friday, November 5, 2010

Italian Cheese Bread


When I make an Italian dish, it just always seems to call for bread. While most Italian fare is quick to make (I'm thinking pasta here), bread on the side is never quick unless I've planned ahead (as in bought Italian bread at the store). I ran across a recipe for Italian Cheese Bread in a food blog http://www.tammysrecipes.com/ and gave it a try. It was fast (only a 20 minute rise) and yummy. My family gave it a thumbs up all around. I have made it as written, but I have also made it using the topping of olive oil, Italian seasoning and mozzarella cheese. The possibilities are endless. The bread base is a great starting point - then try your own variation.

Italian Cheese Bread
from Tammy's Recipes

Bread:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. yeast
1 cup warm water (120 degrees)
1 Tbsp. oil

Topping:
1/4 cup prepared Italian salad dressing
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground oregano
1/4 tsp. dried thyme
dash pepper
1-2 Tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

In mixer combine the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Combine water and oil (it is important to have the water the right temperature to encourage a fast rise - too hot will kill yeast - I use an instant read thermometer). Add water and oil to flour mixture. Add additional flour if needed to form a soft dough. Knead for 1-2 minutes in mixer until smooth and elastic.

Put lid on mixer bowl (I used a Bosch - otherwise transfer to greased bowl, turn and cover). Let rise in warm place for 20 minutes. Start oven preheating to 450 degrees.

Punch the dough down; placed dough in greased 15"x11" cookie sheet with sides. Pat out to the edges (or you can use a mini rolling pin which makes the job quick and easy. (The original recipe calls for a greased 16" pizza pan - your choice). Combine salad dressing and seasonings, brush evenly over dough, all the way to the edges. Sprinkle with cheeses.

For a fluffier cheese bread, at this point, allow the bread to rest for 15 minutes or so. If you're in a hurry, just skip this rise. The bread will rise while it bakes, too. Usually if I start my oven preheating after mixing the dough, it gives just the right amount of time for the dough to rise, roll it out an rise a little more before the oven is up to temperature - but then I think my oven is a slow preheater. Bake at 450 degrees for 11 minutes or until the cheese starts to brown. Slice with pizza cutter and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts, thanks, tips, and tricks