Monday, October 18, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn


I came across this recipe a couple weeks ago while trying to come up with a sweet snack that wasn't completely jam-packed with sugar. And we were all set to watch a movie, so what better than popcorn? We're on a mission to dramatically reduce the amount of refined sugar we eat in this house so I made a few changes to the recipe to make it a little more "healthy", the result? DELICIOUS! Benton asked me to "please make some regular popcorn" because this wasn't tantalizing his taste buds as it was mine. Turns out, after trying it, I had to remind him to eat his "regular" popcorn because that's what he wanted. I made this again for a big family movie night and it disappeared pretty quick. So, pretty much it's the perfect sweet & salty snack.

Cinnamon Sugar Popcorn:
(pictures coming soon)
from allrecipes.com
  • 1 cup unpopped popcorn
  • 1/3 cup butter ( I used a little less)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar (I used 1/2 c. Xagave brand agave nectar instead)
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pop your corn with an air popper, or if you're like us and don't have one, on the stove in a stock pot with some olive oil. Put into a Large mixing bowl and set aside.

Preheat oven to 250 degrees

Combine the remaining ingredients in a small sauce pan and cook until thick and bubbly (I let it boil no more than 2 min, it should still be real liquid-y, just a little thicker than you started out with)

Pour over popcorn and mix until evenly coated.

Spread popcorn into large roasting pan ( I used a 16x20 in) and put in 250 degree oven for 10 min. After 10 min, turn heat off and allow popcorn to stay in oven for another 20 min. Remove from oven and let cool before eating.

*This makes a BIG batch, so unless you're feeding a crowd, I'd half it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thoughts, thanks, tips, and tricks